View Single Post
Old
05-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think the fact that Bergevin is a recent retired player gives him a vantage point that few of his peers have (whether that translates into wins/Cups, is another story).

The comment you quoted really hit me yesterday, because that's the type of comment that can only be made when you've been 'in the trenches'.

Character isn't measurable with stats, it's something that's noticed at ice level, or in the room, etc. For example, Andrei Kostitsyn, perfect example of a guy with tremendous skill, but who's lacking in characther.

It's one of the reasons why Bergevin was my choice even before Gauthier got fired, at the time I thought there was no chance they would even consider hiring him, but I always loved the fact he's been involved in the NHL on so many different levels...coaching, scouting, managing, etc....those are key assets
It certainly is. The way this was passed up so easily by some people here (or in the media) was really surprising to me. The experience this man has gathered over his entire career (both as player and front office) is simply huge.
It was even more surprising how people insisted on him lacking experience because he only has one year as AGM. You can't have it all. I think most agree Nill was their first choice, but otherwise Bergevin was a clear favorite in my eyes (and yours I remember ).
I also think the fact he's been part of original 6 teams, both as a player and front office, was an added bonus. Knowing that those organization are mean more than your average one.

The only things that really are question marks are the negotiations and trades. No idea how good he'll be at evaluating the value of players and translating that into dollars, whether it's UFAs, RFAs, or the return value in trades.
Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
wow lol come on man...You guys really think McGuire is the one of the only guys around the NHL that knows the 'good and bad' about teams/players?

Jeez...I know media influences the masses, but it shouldn't prevent critical thinking.
Didn't Molson say he had a big list, and wanted to speak to everybody, because it's good to have their input on what needs to be done, what's going on around the league, etc.
Basically, gather as much info as possible from as many candidates as possible. Really take advantage of this job hiring process.

Something Gainey clearly didn't give two craps about just handing out the keys to the one besides him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Honestly at this point I don't even care about Kaberle, he is more useful than Gomez. Another reason I would keep him is because of Markov, we just don't know what's going to happen with a full schedule and we can't take any chances. Play Kaberle mostly on the pp and keep him around at 13-15 minutes a night

And yes build an identity, absolutely agreed on that
I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaberle have a hard summer training, and come back better next year.
Last year, he played through june, short summer, divorced, moved. That's a lot of stuff to deal with. Not too surprising he didn't come in in tip top shape.
I guess we'll see how serious he is in improving this summer.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote