View Single Post
Old
05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
I like Staal but I don't think this is a trade you can make for several reasons.

He's never had more than 50 points in his career, hardly 1st line numbers. One can argue its because he's doesnt get quality ice time to which I'd argue he plays against far inferior match ups. Imagine if a top line centre payed against 3rd line match ups? They'd light it up for the most part, at least get more than a career high 50 points.

It's not everyday that you get a top 3 pick. Maybe this isn't the deepest draft at #3 and with good scouts (Timmins) you can certainly get a very serviceable player to play on your top 2 lines, defense or forward. You also get this payer for virtually nothing, cost wise. Why give up a potentially solid NHLer to pay a player who lets say is as good as the prospect will be and pay him millions more in salary? Makes no sense.

This takes me to my last point. You're better off taking the pick and use the cash to sign a UFA who can help now. That way, with the same money, or close to it, you get not 1 but 2 very good players that can be used in your line up. Adds depth and talent at a reasonable price.

All that being said, the only way I'd trade the 3rd is to get a bona fida #1 player or one that you feel has more upside than who ever youll draft. Other than that I can't see a reason why ou trade the pick. Also explain why it's so rare to see a top pick get traded. The upside is always potential and teams will rarely pay the steep price of what a player COULD become. In any case, I don't think J Staal is better than some of the names we can get T that spot. E. Staal, now that's a different story!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote