View Single Post
Old
11-23-2003, 06:53 AM
FisherKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13

My final thought, I know this was a special game and all and they want it to be close and exciting, but you got to make the call when Smyth runs over Theodore. Theodore isn't one of those roaming goalies nor is he dirty a la Turco, these are the goalies that the rules were meant to protect. Maybe Montreal should protect the goalie, but then the instigator rule comes in.
Great post Guy although frankly, I would have put Sundstrom in the same category as Kilger, but that's just me.

The following is an excerpt from a post I made on another board relative to the above issue raised by Nash.

I have to agree here. While there has been much talk on here (and rightly so) about lack of size and toughness up front, there is definitely a need for more toughness on the blue line. There is absolutely no way Ryan Smythe should have been able to climb up the goaltender's back on that 3rd goal, and be held unaccountable. Such plays must be treated as attempts to injure the goaltender, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you have to take a penalty, or even lose the game, to make that point, you do it. Smythe should have been hurting (not to be confused with "injured" which I don't necessarily advocate) before the game was over. If we would have have allowed a player to do that to our goaltender back when I played, we'd have had our coach walking up OUR BACK with hob-nailed boots on. Simply unacceptable. When your goaltender is run by a player, that player pays, if not immediately, then before the game is out, and a strongly worded message as to why he's "paying" is delivered. There is no other acceptable response, and lack of such a response is equally unacceptable.

As for the "event", I thought it was great, and very nostalgic. I'm one of the old timers who "cut his teeth" in hockey on an outdoor rink. I can recall more than one occasion, when all 5'5" 105 lbs of me was flying down right wing and skating into a bona fide "white out" of blowing snow, only to emerge from it to find a 6'3" 210 lbs + defenceman lining me up. Certainly kept one on his toes. Brought back a lot of fond memories.

As for the Habs play, it was much better than I expected. Still, more toughness on the blue line is absolutely ESSENTIAL. Souray can't do it all. That rumoured "Gauthier" trade with Calgary looks more and more enticing.

Cheers

FisherKing