Old
05-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Man, tough crowd.

Staal is exactly what we need, only we won't have to wait the three years it will take Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg to get there. I mean geez, the chance to get a 24 year old, 6'3, 220lbs, character center who scored 25 goals last year and who is already defensively polished... and you guys are worried about his contract?? You'll have over a year to sign him! Have you no faith in your city, your organization, your fans, your owner?? Why wouldn't he re-sign here?? If you can't convince a guy to sign with your team with over a year to do so what makes anybody think we can sign somebody like Parise instead??

Everybody wants the new GM to be aggressive... well, being aggressive comes with risk. Paul Homlgren traded a first round pick for two UFAs... not guys who were a year away from being on the market, guys who were weeks away from being on the market. Guys who would never have a chance to play in front of Philly fans, to live in the city, to experience what it was like to be Flyers before making their decision. THAT was aggressive, and Timonen and Hartnell have become key cogs in that organization.

Like I said in my original post, if you are worried about him being injury-prone that's one thing. But if you think he's going to be healthy... With the 3rd overall we would be lucky to get what Staal already brings, and he's still getting better.
No, Staal is one of a couple of pieces we need.

The problem with trading for him is next year we won't be getting a decent draft pick. Then, in all likelihood we'll be trading away our 2nd round picks next year to get a little bit of help to put us over the top, to fill up holes on our team.

I call it treading water and no, I'm not part of the "everybody crowd" that wants our GM to be aggressive.

If we keep our 1st this year and add a couple more by trading Pleks and Markov then I'm okay with trading next years 1st for him.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote