View Single Post
Old
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Mighty Joe Moon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
they were stuck with the ahl. they didn't want it. winnipeg has such great fans that they supported their ahl team, but they never wanted it. as soon as they had the chance to move on, they did.

the point is you're much more likely to see future nhl superstars in the chl. the eilte players skip the ahl altogether.

As for point #1: What?? You keep the AHL over the NHL? Uh...who wouldn't jump at that chance to move on?
The guys who rabidly follow the prospects, and the people resenting going from competing with Vancouver to being their farm club would be the ones who would have preferred the WHL over the AHL. Being from Winnipeg, I have a hard time seeing a WHL team doing better than the Moose did in the same circumstances.

Point #2: True enough.

I never believed more exciting=better quality. The CFL can certainly be more exciting more often than the NFL, but a lot of the excitement comes from broken, sloppy play. I see the AHL and CHL having a similar dynamic. If you're emotionally invested enough in your team, two sides playing the trap against each other can be pretty darned exciting.

The biggest issue the AHL has, is none of the fans know anything about the opponent or its players, it's a continental league filled with second cities or suburbs of large metro areas so it's missing that extra level for rivalries. People in Binghamton know nothing of Abbotsford, people in Abbotsford aren't necessarily sure whether Manchester is in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts or England. Portland? I thought that was in Oregon. What do you mean there are two teams named 'Admirals'? What's the difference between Saint John and St. John's? It's that much harder to get excited for a game against an opponent you know nothing about. That was easily the biggest thing I didn't like about the AHL. Plus the AHL being second tier, it doesn't garner the coverage in the local papers versus the other sports options, especially in larger cities. Cleveland newspapers are supposed to divert pages from the Browns, Cavs and Indians to the Lake Erie Monsters? The CHL has no such issue. You'll learn about your opponent in your small town rag (I know plenty about the MJHL Selkirk Steelers thanks to those papers), you'll remember the players from the World Juniors. You get teams from comparable sized towns/small cities in your own part of the world, so there's that connection that is lacking.

Last edited by Mighty Joe Moon: 05-03-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote