View Single Post
Old
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Really in theory you have 4 centers/lines. Briere is clearly not a shut down center. He was never expected to do that, and is easily our worst defensive forward. But he's a great scorer and clutch in the playoffs. Rare is the player who is a clutch playoff scorer and good defensively. We weren't getting Datsyuk so do you go for the scorer or the Defensive center? Briere has been money in the playoffs, and helped us get to the ECF and the SCF so seems like a good move there. Giroux is decent defensively but is top 5 offensively right now top 10 even if you're "a hater". I don't think most people have a problem with either of them being on the team. After that you at center you really have Couturier, Read, Talbot,and Schenn as options. Not really much to chose from if you looking for a shutdown center.
Well my post wasn't to point out Briere's deficiencies, but since you brought him up I'd have to say what use is his scoring if he is giving it right back at the other end? For all of his clutch scoring, he's still a minus player. For $6.5M I expect better than someone who is a huge liability in their own end. I think we'd be better off with someone who isn't quite as good offensively, but won't be abused defensively.

Anyway the point is the lack of team defense is to be expected when you don't have many forwards capable of playing defense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote