View Single Post
Old
05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Since you mentioned this...

We always hear the "PR" number of the players who Roy Sommer has sent to the NHL. Does anyone know how that number ranks against other NHL teams with players making the NHL after playing in their organization over the same amount of time Sommer has coached SJ's AHL prospects? And if you eliminate player that have played in the NHL less than one full season what those numbers look like?

SJ's mantra for years has been "draft and develop"...one has to ask has that really worked when your announced number of players going through your system to the NHL includes players like:
Riley Armstrong (2 games)
Sean Gauthier (1)
Mike Iggulden (1 with SJ, 11 with NYI)
Lukas Kaspar (16)
Ryan Kraft (7)
Mike Moore (6)
Dmitri Patzold (3)
Nolan Schaefer (7)
Ryan Vesce (19)
Chad Wiseman (4 with SJ, 5 with NYR)
Steven Zalewski (3 with SJ, 7 with NJ)

So it would be interesting to see how the numbers compare to other organizations...
You are making me mess up my screen, but it really isn't fair. Almost all orgs have players like that. I did the retrospective at one point and had countless guys with small game counts leaguewide.

The acid test (and it can't be applied to expansion teams in their first 12 to 15 years) is to count the number of NHL regulars in the league who started with the Sharks. Guys on the season starting 23 man roster for various teams. How many originated with the Sharks? The Sharks are just about treading water. The easy way to do it is to count how many homegrown on the Sharks roster and then add the players who came through the Sharks system but are now elsewhere (Ehrhoff, Carle, Bernier, Goc, Seto, Michalek, McGinn, Whitney, Samuelsson, Stuart, Gorges, Nabby, Kiprusoff - 13 players projecting to next year with no movement). The Sharks have JT, Havlat, Galiardi, Zeus, Moore, Winnik, Winchester, Vandemeer, White, Burns, Boyle and Niemi which makes 13 from elsewhere. The net is 0.

Zero sounds OK, but they were ahead of the curve not too long ago. And zero is average or a little less so as teams like Winnipeg, CBJ, Minny and Nashville haven't had time to build through duration. Nashville, surprisingly, is a ahead of the curve. When I did the study previously, Montreal, Colorado and NJ were ahead of the curve. There are other teams that have taken their place since. By eyeball, it looks like Chicago, Boston and the Rags have stepped up since I did the study. And there are teams that stink like Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Carolina and a few others. Detroit has traditionally not been a hotbed for quantity, but their quality is off the charts relative to others. Detroit focuses on skill and has tended to buy their lower lineup guys in the past.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote