View Single Post
Old
05-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Ludicrous Speed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
At absolute best case scenario he may become a Ryan Suter type, problem being defenseman are hardest position to project. In my eyes he compares to John Moore , which I find interesting to go back and read his scouting profile ....

The CSB had him ranked #6 overall among North American skaters in their final pre-draft rankings before the June 26 draft. CSB scouting director Jack Barzee issued the following analysis before the draft:

“I watched John Moore as an underage player and I knew he was a must see player for this year; he hasn’t disappointed me one bit. His first two strides are like Paul Coffey and he has been labeled as a world-class skater. He is poised with the puck, he gets his shots through to the net and he has gotten a lot stronger this season. He resembles (Calgary Flames) defenseman Jordan Leopold and similar to Leopold at the same age he needs to get a little bit better at playing more aggressive and more physical, but John is going to be a one-two defenseman in the NHL.”
How can you say that when Murray right now is a better defender than Moore? And he's just as good of a skater, if not better. Moore was never supposed to be a top-10 pick, let alone top-2, he was always ranked in the teens as far as the mocks went. Not to mention everyone knew Moore would need to develop whereas Murray is touted as NHL ready, moreso than a lot of guys in previous years.

Who on our team plays defense well? Sure, Johnson leaves it all on the ice every shift and is a physical presence, but he has about average defending skills. Nikitin I suppose defends fine, but Wiz is a pylon, Tyutin seems to lose his coverage more often than you would like, Methot is average at everything, and Moore and Savard are still learning the ropes. Why do we need him to be scoring 65+ points or whatever it would take for the pundits to lay off his so-called offensive "deficiencies"? You guys realize we've had 1 guy score more than 40 from the backend, right? Murray's potential is in that 40 point range, and we've got Wiz and Johnson at a minimum to produce.

That's not to say Murray would come in and play savior, but he's labeled as that Lidstrom or Suter type defending – outsmarting forwards, great positioning and stickwork; he's the guy you know you can trust to have on the ice.

I really am not opposed to Galchenyuk or Forsberg, in fact I haven't voted yet because I'm still torn between Murray and Galch. I would be happy with either Galch or Forsberg because our forward prospects are crap for the most part. What I am opposed to is ignorance.