View Single Post
Old
05-06-2012, 11:52 AM
justsayin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Gudbranson would be a huge get, but i agree it's not likely. But for the sake of argument, let's say that move happens. What would your next step be as GM? Obviously now we're missing a big piece of our offense and PK and the element that makes the third line truly dangerous, but we've now got quite the configuration of defensive talent on the NHL blueline, as well as some currently in the A pushing for a regular role. What other trades do you think would be realistic moving forward from that point to balance out the rest of the roster?

Trading Staal before July 1st allows the Pens to go all in for Parise. Go long-term at 6years-$6M. And I would imagine most wouldn't be disappointed if the Pens traded Staal for Parise.

Getting Gudbranson does make the D much better. He is the physical and skilled anchor of the defense that the Pens need. He has the makings of a Shea Weber. Plays a different style than Letang and is much more composed.

Staal, Martin and Strait for Gudbranson, Trocheck and Grimaldi

Trocheck gives the Pens a decent center prospect and Grimaldi becomes the wild-card winger.

I think Orpik has to go. He is the old guy in the group and it seems he doesn't fit with the core anymore. He has been better at calling out the team than playing this year. But he does have value.

Orpik and TK for Stewart, Cole and Rattie

Stewart has a chance to be Neal 2.0, and can you imagine the space Crosby and Parise would make for him. Cole brings more of the physical defensive play that the Pens need. Rattie helps to give the Pens some prospect depth at forward.

I think you can either trade Michalek for a 3C or deal him at the deadline when Despres is ready to play full-time. Then Morrow may be ready to be the 7th D-man. If Michalek goes:

Michalek and Jeffrey for Lander and 2012 2nd

you have...

Parise (6) - Crosby (8.7) - Stewart (3.25)
Kunitz (3.75) - Malkin (8.7) - Neal (5)
Cooke (1.8) - Lander (.9) - Dupuis (1.5)
Tangradi (.85) - Vitale (.55) - Adams (.675)
Park (.55)

Letang (3.5) - Despres (.840)
Gudbranson (3.2) - Niskanen (1.8)
Cole (1.3) - Engelland (.567)
Bortuzzo (.6)

Fluery (5)
Thiessen (.6)

With this the Pens could go with 7 D often. The scoring is there. The D hasn't always. Also, I say go with the young defensemen. Let them grow in the NHL.

There would be room there to go after Suter, but Gudbranson will fit just as well. And Gudbranson is way more physical. But either way, this gives the Pens flexibility to sign Allen for a couple of years to ease the transition to the young core.