View Single Post
Old
05-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I would offer Plekanec as backbone in trade for Staal but not the 3 pick. Staal is not signed and cannot be signed until after July 1st as he is in midst of multi-year contract. Long after the draft. Either Forsberg or Galchenyuk should be equal/better than Staal and much cheaper
Here's the thing, though. If Gomez isn't going to be bought out, it's because Bergevin wants as much cap room as he can get in the short term (i.e. more concerned about where we'll be 2 years from now in a demotion scenario, not 4 via buyout). Since we're talking about short term, I think it's fair to say that no matter who we pick at #3, they won't be as good as Staal for a while (probably about 2 years, if ever).

I'd love to see Staal in the CH. As good as he is already at 23, and with over 70 playoff games under his belt, and only a $4 million cap hit next season? Worth it, imo, and exactly the kind of player we should be stealing and building around if we have the chance. I know everyone is stoked to actually have a high pick and use it, but we're talking about a former #2 overall pick who has more than met expectations.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote