Old
05-07-2012, 04:59 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchbrown View Post
How much Capitals hockey have you watched recently? I've watched every game that Backstrom and Ovechkin played this year, and it's my opinion that in the time that they played on the same line this season, Ovechkin's play was holding Backstrom back. In fact, I've actually wished that Backstrom had had a reliable linemate like the Sedins have.

In spite of this, Backstrom was either #7 or 8 place in NHL scoring at the time of his concussion. I didn't see anyone else in the top 15 who managed that without the help of a linemate also near the top. Ovechkin was only about #50 at the time Backstrom was injured. In fact, Backstrom was so far ahead in points that it took Ovechkin more than a month (16 games, I think) to catch up.

After watching the last two seasons, I believe that the two are moving in opposite directions. Ovechkin has been steadily regressing, while Backstrom is improving and has become the Capitals' most important player.
You have certainly watched more capital games this season than I have done (although I saw them live at home against Sharks last season), that is true. And I take your word on it that Bäckström might have been as good as you say. But stating that Bäckström is held back from winning trophies by his line is kind of a a bold thing don't you agree. Certainly when it is proved that the Sedins do not need each other to perform, in fact we have seen them both elevate when they play without the other.