View Single Post
Old
05-07-2012, 08:34 AM
DM23BK30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
First you said he was a stupid player. Now you're bringing up his shooting. What does missing open shots have to do with his intelligence as a player? You cite statistics in a vortex. You can't bring up those statistics and ignore all of the following facts: his performance dropped as soon as Anthony arrived, not just this year. He struggles when there's no rhythm in the game. His offensive contributions last year were primarily in the open court, or after a really quick series of passes. That's just not what the team does anymore. The Knicks, when they do move the ball, are slow, plodding and predictable most of the time. That's fine against crap teams that can't figure out that if you neutralize Steve Novak, the Knicks offense is basically a bunch of chuckers taking covered jump shots.

It's Anthony and J.R. Smith's fault that they routinely stop the entire offense, start doing crossover dribbles for 10 seconds, and then either take stupid jump shots or pass it only once they fail at developing a shot. It's great when they make the shots. See how that's working out against Miami. Fields isn't Novak. He's not a sharpshooter. They don't pass it to him when he's on the move, cutting tot he basket. They pass it to him when he's standing, watching them dribble between their legs. He's out of rhythm, and he's not good enough to create a shot for himself. Fields should be dunking in the open court, or after receiving the ball on a cut. If he has to take the ball to the hole, he's obviously not going to be very successful. But his teammates don't create those other opportunities for him.

He's a starter because the team had to trade away 5 guys to get Anthony! He's a starter because the Knicks have 55 million dollars in cap space tied up in 3 players, none of whom are legit superstars. He obviously wouldn't be a starter on a contending team. And guess what? If he wasn't starting, he'd probably be taking less shots.

His passing options declined severely once Anthony joined the team. Anthony is out of shape and is relatively weak at moving without the ball, especially when he's playing to get a coaching change. It's also a lot easier to generate assists, or pass the ball in general, when the team moves the ball and their bodies quickly and often. It means more people are open, and the defense is more often scrambling. The whole team stopped moving as soon as he got here, except for the Linsanity stretch.

Well, if Knicks fans were chanting it, then they must be right. I'm not at all surprised that they're chanting MVP for a guy who spent the first three months of the season basically telling the entire fanbase, "**** you, I care far more about myself than I do about the success of this team or the people who pay money to watch me play or wear my jersey." These are the same people that thought the Stephon Marbury trade was going to turn the Knicks around. Most of them were pretty stoked about the Knicks acquiring Steve Francis, too.

Believe it or not, there are more than a few Knick fans that understand what a disaster the Knicks brought upon themselves. I know quite a few of them personally. It's just not that hard to understand that there has never been a championship winning team that didn't feature great ball movement, consistent unselfishness, and committed defense. Not a single one of the player with an M.O. similar to Anthony's has ever won a championship. That's not a coincidence.

There's only so many ways that this can be put. Before D'Antoni got fired, Anthony stayed out of the paint completely, was giving zero effort defensively, and was doing everything he could to make sure D'Antoni's strategy could not be executed (this despite the fact that D'Antoni tried a plethora of things, from giving Anthony the ball in different places to having other players carry the ball). Within a game or two of Woodson taking over, Anthony's effort defensively was night and day. He started taking the ball to the hole at least sometimes. So either one of two things happened. Either Mike Woodson is one of the greatest sports coaches of all time, and he managed to teach Anthony all this stuff in a couple of days, less than a week at most, or Anthony was purposely not doing these things when D'Antoni was here. Since there are TWO previous Anthony coaches on record saying that Anthony, on more than one occasion, would not do what was asked of him on the court, I'm inclined to guess that the reason Anthony wasn't doing those things in the first half of the season is because he didn't want to do them.

The problem is that under D'Antoni, Anthony was playing like a player with an agenda that was more important to him than winning basketball games. Which makes sense, because he's already done the same thing before leaving Denver.

None of what you wrote has anything to do with Fields' poor season. I find it hysterical that a simple comment about a guy's struggling season automatically evokes anti-Melo sentiment, and somehow Dantoni as well.

Just get over it already. The Knicks are better this year than last year. Melo had a huge role in them accomplishing that. Whether Melo dogged it for Dantoni or not, I really could care less. What I do care about is that he's not dogging it now.

Fields' games without Melo.

1/14 -- 1-for-7, 31 MINS
1/27 -- 4-for-12, 34 MINS
1/28 -- 0-for-2, 18 MINS
2/8 -- 6-for-11, 37 MINS
2/10 -- 1-for-7, 33 MINS
2/11 -- 8-for-10, 35 MINS
2/14 -- 3-for-9, 37 MINS
2/15 -- 6-for-8, 30 MINS
2/17 -- 1-for-8, 34 MINS
2/19 -- 6-for-12, 27 MINS

36-for-88, .375 PCT FG% without Melo dressed
200-for-425, .471 PCT FG% with Melo playing

There you have it -- Fields performed better with Melo in the lineup than without him.

The fact is that Woodson cut Fields minutes because he was struggling, where Dantoni kept playing him 30 mins a game.

Again, how is it Melo's fault that Fields has been struggling, when any Knick fan can tell you that he has been inconsistent from start to finish?