View Single Post
Old
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
BeaverSports

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/05...er-moving.html

Saw this article in the Star-Telegram a few days ago and I couldn't help but laugh. It wasn't the lack of an owner creating attendance issues. Losing games and not making the playoffs isn't the reason that attendance has been low. The REAL reason the building has been so empty is that the team plays in Dallas and not Fort Worth.
I think Bud should do a wee bit of research. The North Stars played in Bloomington, which was probably actually a bit closer to St. Paul than Minneapolis. The team didn't play second fiddle to the T-Wolves, either. Simply put, they were just in an aging arena with a difficult lease deal and they ran out of options to make it work. Had they been able to move to the basketball-controlled Target Center, the North Stars would have been fine in Minneapolis.

If the Xcel Energy Center was built in Bloomington, in Minneapolis, or any other suburb, the Wild would have been well received and had that building been built in the North Stars' days they would have had no problem with it.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not familiar with the bankruptcy sale, but A) Doesn't Gaglardi now own a good chunk of the building the FWST would have him abandon, one that brings him extra concessions for having that successful basketball team? B) Does Fort Worth have a new building with luxury suites, etc. that can be monetized in a way that is more lucrative? Can one be built to yield the same revenue? C) Didn't the Stars do just fine when they were putting a successful product on ice?

Furthermore, if Oklahoma City is such a great place, why didn't they pose the question of the team moving there too?