View Single Post
Old
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
BigDuke6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpressma View Post
Was my 3rd time out on the ice today. So far both the second time and today when I first step on the ice the first 30 minutes or so is completely useless. I feel like I always regress to the point of not being able to do a single thing without the comfort of the boards. the session is 12:30-2:30 and by 2:00 I usually have the ice to myself or maybe 1 or 2 other people which is really nice. So around 2:00, after spending the entire session up against the boards trying hockey stops with extremely minimal success I decided that now that everybody's gone I'm gonna go try hockey stops out in open ice with no support from the boards. The hardest thing by far for me was just that mental aspect of completely losing it and crashing into the ice in an uncontrollable fit. Well after doing that a couple times I really just didn't care anymore about falling which allowed me to just focus on stopping.

The rink is overlooked by the Flyers pressbox, meeting rooms, training rooms, coaches office and a hallway that connects them all. Well at this point I'm going from red line at center to the blue line trying to do a stop at one line then going to the other stopping, etc... While I'm doing my "drill" I keep seeing Giroux and Briere walking back and forth from one room to another. Coolest thing ever. Also saw all of the reporters and cameras sitting in on Laviolette's conference today which was cool. Anyway, by 2:30 I could do a hockey stop on my left side perfectly roughly 50% of the attempts with the other 50% a combination of falling on my ass or stopping but not by ways in which I intended. I still can't do any stops with my right side. Maybe this is common sense but I stopped focusing on turning my feet into position and rather focused on really rotating my hips forward and suddenly I was able to get really good stops with a little bit of a slide and good foot placement. Stopping as I found out today is all in the hips. Wish I figured that out prior to the last 20 minutes of the session, but whatever.
Stopping on the right side has always been a challenge for me. I've worked on it a ton in the last month and it is finally getting to the point where I feel like the work is paying off. You are right about the hips.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote