View Single Post
Old
05-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Neal Before Zod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
This. Smith is the main reason this series still isn't going on. He played better than Pekka.

The main problem I had with Trotz over the playoff was to force Fisher-SK until he was totally desperate. Fix the problem before you are desperate. They have been playing TERRIBLE offensively for 20 games. We have plenty of guys who could've step into SK's place and gave us a better chance.

I also likely do not agere with the decision to bench AK & A-Rad in game 4, though I'd like to know the exact facts.

But no, he should not be fired.
My gripes about Trotz in this series...

Agreed with Fisher-SK. I think that line worked for a lot of the season...then it went stale. Splitting them up earlier would've been a good decision. In the Detroit series, I could understand Fisher on the top line, because I think his primary role was keeping Datsyuk in check, not scoring goals. SK plain didn't look like a first liner in these playoffs. He made a few heady defensive plays...but that was about the extent of it. I would've dropped him to the third line.

My other big complaint: Brandon Yip. Yes, he plays hard. He plays the Trotz way. But he's not perfect. How did he manage to play in all 10 games? I think rotating Halischuk, Tootoo, Smith, and yes, Colin Wilson, from the beginning would've been the right move. Keep the guys hungry. Yip did not play poorly...but other guys deserved a chance. And Yip on the power play? What in the holy **** was that? Gaustad (who only played on the PP in this last game -- at the end) makes sense...because he can win you a draw and then head to the net. But Yip? That's the definition of just putting a body out there.

In hindsight, I do think he sat Colin Wilson for too long...and Wilson wasn't really able to get moving until the end. But perhaps both him and Wilson will learn something from this. If Wilson gives the effort next season, Trotz should reward him by playing him alongside Erat. If he can adopt a true center role, and play defense as a center, he could anchor one of the top 2 lines. Just learn to give the effort you have in the past few games in every game. Erat-Wilson-Radulov could have a lot of potential.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote