View Single Post
Old
05-08-2012, 06:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I don't know about a complete overhaul, but definitely need them all healthy. We need another #1/#2 though. Someone like Suter. If we get him signed, just re-sign MAB for a few years and we should be good on the D end, but only if we can stay healthy.

Timonen-Suter
Coburn-Grossmann
Mez-MAB
Lilja
Agreed about a new 1 or 2. The problem with that though is that once they sign their contract, what will Giroux be worth when it's time to negotiate his contract? That's the problem with a guy like Suter. Someone's going to over pay for him and it's going to be high. I'm sure Holmgren will be interested, but I think the cost in the end will be a detriment. I'm still thinking that the Flyers go the trade route for a defenseman. Right now, the only sure things are Timonen, Coburn, Grossman and Meszaros. The free agency pool for defensemen is rather weak this year and there are numerous teams with a glut of good young defensemen who will be looking to deal (Phoenix is the very first place I can think of). I could see the Flyers making some sort of deal to secure a 1 or 2 that way.

The only other thing I'd like to see is an assistant coach that knows a little bit about defensive formations and helping tighten up the defense a bit. McCarthy has done a good job working one on one with the defenders, but collectively, he's done a poor job overall on the d. That needs to be corrected. Just a thought, but if Pronger is done, I'd like to see him brought in as a coach. The guy knows Xs and Os with regards to defense and could definitely help solidify things there.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote