View Single Post
Old
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
One thing I will debate you on is your characterization of the Jackson/Hull philosophy being more offensively oriented at the expense of defense, at least as far as the Richards acquisition goes. I think they wanted a hell of a shot in the arm and were prepared to pay what it took to get that. Tampa was in a tough spot with their ownership situation and lost a little leverage in the trade market due to their necessity to sell the asset. If they had a surplus of high quality defensemen I think Stars management at the time would have been in on that as well.
That's a fair point. Given the circumstance in Tampa Bay and the fact Richards was acquired as a salary dump it's probably not fair to draw the conclusion that Dallas management was focused on fixing the offensive of the team. The more appropriate conclusion is probably they just jumped at adding a big name asset with a winning pedigree like you pointed out.

So that does bring up another interesting point. If they didn't land Richards (IIRC, CB offered more didn't they, but Richie wouldn't go?), what could Dallas have used that money (nearly $8 million) on the summer?