View Single Post
Old
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Iron Duke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I agree we had, on paper, a better roster than Phoenix, but can you honestly say we had a better one than Pittsburgh, Vancouver, San Jose, or Boston? (all of whom were eliminated before us)

Am I the only one that think this year wasnt as terrible as everyone is saying? We were the #7 team in the league while having the #26 payroll. We beat Detroit for the first time ever, both in the regular season AND the playoffs. We had the 3rd most points in the west. We set a record for sellouts.

Could we have gone farther? Of course. But all 16 teams in the playoffs have a decent chance to make the conference finals (who had PHX vs. LA?), so I feel no shame in being in the final 8. We made it farther than any other central division team. We made it farther than Vancouver, or any other Canadian team for that matter. This year was NOT failure.
All great positives, and add to that being one of the, if not the, youngest teams in the league. Was disappointing not to be able to break through to the WCF, but I think the disappointment is magnified by a lot of people believing that the amount of success in this post-season correlated to whether some of our big pieces stay on long-term.

In a vacuum, we had a young team, grabbed home ice in the first round, finished top 10 in the league in scoring, #1 power play, finally beat our nemesis, and played a very hard-fought series against a team that played our game just a bit better than we did. I don't see a ton to hang our heads for, and I also think the fate of Suter, Weber, etc... was decided regardless of how far we went this post-season.

Can't wait til October.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote