Thread: Speculation: NHL Amnesty: Pronger vs Bryz
View Single Post
Old
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Coppy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
I'm equating Pronger with Savard. I feel like it's a given Savard's gone but he's gonna stay on LTIR to collect his paycheck (which he deserves). I don't think the league has a problem acknowledging that Savard is done but will remain on LTIR. Obviously that's not based on any facts, just my opinion. Either way I'd rather Pronger's 2.5 penalty to Bryz's contract.
The situations are kinda different. For one, the Bruins weren't right up against the cap this season, so Savard being on LTIR doesn't really do anything. The other big thing is that Savard's contract isn't a 35+. He can retire at any time and it won't count against the cap.

I'm basing this on the fact the league has clearly signaled they are fed up with obvious cap circumvention. They investigated Pronger's original contact and they nullified the Kovalchuk contact. There were rumors floating around that they told GM's not to get carried away with contracts last offseason. My guess is you'll see a lot of the loopholes disappear in the new CBA. Given all that, I have a hard time believing they'd be perfectly fine with Pronger pretending he is making a comeback for 5 YEARS just to save the Flyers 5 million on the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
A normal buyout divides the cap number by 2, and extends duration of contract to double. Are you saying this doesn't apply to 35+ contracts. That isn't something I was aware of, but I really didn't look into that.
Yeah. 35+ clause negates a buyout's effect on the cap number. It could end up saving the Flyers real money, but as far as the cap goes, that money is there no matter what.

Capgeek has a buyout calculator thats good for this type of thing:
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote