Thread: Speculation: Hartnell's Next Contract
View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadajazz View Post
True but I see him developing into a Mike Knuble type guy in his late 30's... very valuable veteran leadership + being smart enough to know how to play to still be effective. He wasn't rushing the puck up end to end but he could be depended on in key situations and could still go to the net on the PP and grind out goals. From age 35-39 Knuble, despite starting to really lose his legs, was able to play on scoring lines and put up 24,29,27,29 and 24 goals respectively... I think 4 of those 5 seasons were 50 pt+ seasons.

I could see Hartnell doing the same. Depending on how he does in the first 25-30 games next year, if you accept him as being your top line LW in the foreseeable future, that likely makes him worth 5-5.5/yr for 5 years... after that if he's secure in Philly and still useful, he could follow the Knuble in his late 30's pattern as some kind of a benchmark, I think he was earning 2.8 mil for all but last year, where he just got 2.0.

to some extent I agree. Hartnell's game certainly does not depend on Speed, but his ability to backcheck adds a dimension to his game that makes him dynamic and he is able to play with different linemates.

i will say that I dont see him getting run down like Tim Kerr did. But i said the same thing about Leclair, and he dropped off big time after 30. But i do honestly believe Hartnell wants to be a flyer for life.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote