View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
I'm a little worried about guys like Read and Simmonds taking a step back next year. They were 3rd and 4th on the team in goals which no one expected. Read seems to be more of a 15-20 guy. Can Simmonds get 25+ again? On the other hand, guys like Schenn and Coots are going to increase their production, so it could balance itself out.

JVR is definitely the X factor in all of this. When he finally gets healthy can he get back to where he was in the 2011 playoffs. I know from a reliable source that Mr. S was very down on him this year which is a little strange considering he did have a lot of legit injuries.

Pronger of course is the other big issue. I don't know a lot about how the cap works, but if he doesn't retire, but yet, still can't play and how is hit money treated? From what I understand, we get cap relief from that, but it doesn't kick in till the season starts, correct? So, it doesn't help in signing anyone. I love the guy, but for his well being, I hope he decides to hang it up.

Carle, again, I would bring back from the right price. I'm not as down on him as others, but if we can use that money for someone else, go for it.
Basically, yes, you have it right, except that a team can exceed the salary cap by 10 percent during the offseason.

Essentially, Pronger's anticipated LTIR eats up that offseason cushion, but it shouldn't keep them from signing anyone.

On the other hand, if Pronger retires, the Flyers have to endure his cap hit for the duration of the contract (without the benefit of LTIR). So, for his well-being, you should hope that he sits back and gets healthy. For the Flyers well-being, you should hope that he decides not to file the paperwork with the league.