View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
kai123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I said this in the other thread, but I think Staal is traded this summer, likely before the draft (if the Pens get a deal with a top pick involved) or after July 1st if not. I just think he wants to a be a top 2 center somewhere and he knows that will never be here.

Geno has said in the past he doesn't mind playing wing or he'll do whatever is best for the team (and Jordan has too), but at the end of the day, both want to be centers. Jordan knows this is a great team and organization, but they've been bounced from the playoffs the last 3 years early on and he figures there are other great teams that he can be successful with AND can give him the ideal role he is looking for. I don't think it is primarily about money for him (although who doesn't want more?), but about role, opportunity, and the "right fit". So I think he'd be willing to sign with a team before hitting free agency if it's the right situation.

From the Pen's perspective, we all thought this day may come where one of the big 3 wants out for a bigger role, more money, etc. We know we can't afford a 3rd line center at 6 mil. Staal knows this as well. He also knows Geno and Sid aren't likely to take significant discounts to give him the contract he feels he deserves.

I just can't envision a scenario where we keep Staal long term for 5.5 or under. So to me, trading him seems like the most likely scenario.
Let's look at the extenuating circumstance here, what if the CBA pushes the salary cap way up or better yet there is no cap, why would Staal be traded? September 9th is the key date for everyone, including Shero to see who he can resign and at what price.

Who knows? He can be a part of the solution(as in he stays). There are so many possible ways to keep him on this team. Give him primary PP time, he can act like a Kesler for our PP, we don't have that type of presence.

E.g. Just look at the Kings Primary PP unit, 4 FWDs and a Offensive/Complete D.
They have:
Brown-Kopitar-Carter
Richards-Doughty

For us it could look like :
Neal-Crosby-Staal
Malkin-Tanger.

Another possibility is to give Staal, Dupuis as a winger on his 3rd line and let Crosby play with play with Tango and Sullivan.

kai123 is offline   Reply With Quote