View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 03:15 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I didn't watch a single Bingo game this season, so I can't comment on Lehner's ability in AHL games. In the NHL games he played, he was lights out.

A good, mature character would challenge himself to thrive in the talent-depleted wake of the exciting championship run they had last year. But he's not one. He seems petulant and fragile.

In the NHL games he played, he was combative and one hell of a puck stopper. I think there were flaws in his technique, but he looked ready for the NHL.

If Sens management thinks that he's wallowing in self-pity, but still has the talent to be given an NHL spot, who cares about his manners in the AHL? Groom him to his strengths. They're not in the business of character-building.
They certainly are. If Lehner is in a state of self-pity and isn't improving, what good does that do the club or his development?

Does it mean we go out and give him whatever he wants? No. But it means we bring in coaches and teammates, hell even sport psychologists, who can help direct that wallowing into something useful, like competitiveness, ambition, and professionalism.

Now, obviously you can't expect every prospect or player to possess this mentality from the get go, but that's why you need to try to mature Lehner as a person and a player to get the best performance out of him.