View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Why do people seem to always equate passion and fire with acting like an idiot? Too many movies?

Do people think players respond to clown shows like this better than a guy who keeps it behind closed doors, or chooses to educate and lead without yelling and carrying on like an abusive parent?

I want coaches and players that hate to lose, for sure, but please, hold the circus.
Arniel and MacLean were pretty high-strung, while Hitchcock and King were not.

The biggest factor with winning games isn't a matter of talent or systems, it has to do with whether or not a coach is able to extract 100% effort from his players. For most people whose athletic careers ended with high school football, that usually means having the volume permanently on 11. Going ballistic at the drop of a hat may have value with high schoolers; it has minimal value with professional athletes.

The only common theme with great coaches and managers that I've ever been able to find is that they all know how to push buttons. Vince Lombardi and Paul Brown were polar opposites as far as how loud they were, but both knew how to get through to their players...Tony Dungy and Mike Ditka would be good modern examples, although neither had the track record of success. Bobby Cox is more low-key than Billy Martin was, and Earl Weaver was more intense than Sparky Anderson...Walter Alston was the consummate professional in an era where the loudmouthed manager was starting to take over. Hockey's greatest coaches have been Scotty Bowman, who was one of the most manipulative SOBs to ever coach a team, but he wasn't the overly loud type and he sure as hell wouldn't go throwing sticks.

A player will respond well to a coach who they believe has their back. Sparky Anderson had a story about how a player decided on his own to steal in the bottom of the 9th of a 1-run game with the Reds trailing; he was thrown at second, which ended the game. A reporter asked Sparky about it, and he said something like, "I had a hunch, so I sent the runner." It was a complete lie, but the team responded favorably because they saw that the manager was willing to put himself in the line of fire to deflect blame away from a player (even if he deserved it).