View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 08:15 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
This is somewhat how I see it too. With the current roster I see those 4 battling for the last 2 spots with McEneny having the edge for one of them and the other spot for who earns it out of camp. But I would also have to put Midensky in that group too for the last spot.

The good part about this log jam is that we have young D with potential that we can move to solidify our forward group. Even if Rieder and Faksa come back, I would still like to see another offensive explosive forward be brought in to strengthen our top 6.

We're going to need a lot more than one explosive forward brought into our top six if we want to try and win a championship next year.

Spott says he expects/hopes that our youth will replace our lost offense with the graduation of Catenacci and Randell.

Lets take a look at our youth up front. Quick example: Going into the final game vs London, our bottom six young players who Spott hopes will step up next year (Pederson, Sterk, Francisco, Lesway, Meighan, & Grant) were a collective 75 GP (man games) and scored a total of 4pts between them in these past playoffs.

Remember, some of these guys saw a lot of icetime playing with pretty good players since we were not a deep team and had no other choice but to turn to them for offense. These players are all 95's and 94's except for Grant and Francisco who are 93's but also from the bottom six. I'm excluding Faksa and Marcantuoni because they weren't considered bottom six this year.

London, on the other hand, had two frequent healthy scratches these playoffs in Athaniasou and Welychka. Collectively, those two players played a total of 12 GP between them but put up 6 pts.

And they were the scratches when everyone else is healthy!!!

We have a lot of work to do up front before we can be considered a top contender next year!