View Single Post
Old
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
vecens24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Staal was 12th in the league among centers in goals scored in 52 games. A prorated 33 goals over 82 games would have put him fourth in the league among centers. All the while being one of the top defensive centers in the game his entire career, and is only 23 years old.

Just look at the desperation on the trade board for a decent center. Yeah, we all saw how hard it was to find certain types of defensemen, in what Goligoski brought. But a center of the calibre of Staal does not come on the market often either, and every team in the league would want one.
And every team in the league wouldn't want a legit #1 defenseman that can hit 45-50 points in a season while playing great defense?

I'm not saying Staal is chopped liver here, but there is a reason that Seto, Coyle, and a first went for Burns. The guy is really damn good.

I think Staal and Burns are equal players for what they bring to the ice, but Burns being the defenseman is more valuable. It's just the way things work in the NHL. Not really another way to say it. I'm not saying centers aren't valuable, but look in past trades, and good defensemen tend to bring more than good centers, it's just kinda the way it works. It's why Burns brought more than both Carter and Richards last year.