View Single Post
Old
05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Pretty much any C in the NHL can play well on the wing. Team Canada doesn't pick the 4 best C's, the 4 best RW's, and the 4 best LW's. They'll probably have like 8 natural centermen and then 4 natural wingers only because they're all better than the 9th best Canadian centerman.

Staal would be great on the wing. The only thing I wonder is if I'd rather have him be the 2nd line center with Malkin on his wing. And moving Staal up to the Top 6 will finally allow us to develop Dustin Jeffrey.
We just disagree. I don't buy that every center can be a good winger or that Staal can just move over and be a great winger. Maybe a lot of them can, but not all. We surely would have used him much more on the wing in his career if he could actually do that. He just hasn't shown much on the wing outside of one stretch of games as a rookie close to 6 years ago.

Anyway, It still makes no sense to play him or Malkin on the wing. I'd rather just take the stud winger we'd likely get in trade for Staal in that scenario. I'd actually prefer to keep the 3 center model going, but that may not be possible financially.