View Single Post
Old
05-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think anybody has suggested that. Well, maybe I just gloss over those posts and they don't really register in my head. But to me, even though I am a stolid proponent of moving Kaberle and Bourque, it's by no means because I think there's "no way" they can return to form/live up to their salary/notably help our team. It's never so absolute.

But I do think that based on the recent precedents they've set by their level of play, the odds of it happening are not good enough for me. I don't, for example, *expect* Kaberle or Bourque to play well for us. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did. And I do agree it's possible. Just that if I had a choice between players for whom it's "possible-yet-not-expected" and players who I'd actually expect to play well/live up to their salary/help our team notably, I'd take the latter.

And that includes full recognition that players you *expect* to do well could also falter and fail to live up to those expectations. It goes all ways. It's just playing the odds as we see them, though.

First, I don't propose keeping Kaberle and/or Bourque because I think they are a perfect fit...though Bourque's size and scoring touch could be a good fit for us on a 2nd or 3rd line if he can get back to his Calgary days. Kaberle, unless Markov goes down again or was to be traded, is a poor fot for our team and his cap hit with younger/cheaper guys like Weber and Diaz being able to grow in his role.

Second, the main message for me there was that it would possibly cost us more to replace Bourque with a smilar or better UFA, we will be hard pressed to replace AK let alone trying to find TWO wingers that can play top 9 and contribute offense. I see LeBlanc needing more time in Hamilton and don't want to rush the rookies so dependin on what happens to Moen we may need three top 9 wingers. I think the best/safest option is to keep Bourque and challenge him to rebound while bringing in another top 6 option to challenge him for that spot like Penner/Stoll/Boyes/Jagr? etc(unless obviously a high end option is available).

Kaberle I would keep him until after the big name UFA's are off the board and if I was able to add a big stay at home type then move him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote