View Single Post
Old
05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
In this system, Jiggy, where the winger stands flat footed up ice waiting for a telgraphed stretch pass and gets pounded by two guys as he tries to chip the puck on for someone else to chase? Sorry, Malkin on the wing in that scenario strikes me as neutralized, not elite. That said, if the system were completely scrapped and one where say Malkin's talent, even with him on the wing, was used and exploited on the breakout (like it might be in, say, Detroit), then it might be a different story. But, do you really trust Bylsma to be the guy who puts that into place?

That said, I'll ask again: Brian Burke has the assets for one mega deal. Who's his first target, Staal or Nash? At first, I thought Nash, no-brainer. But, I really do wonder if it would be Staal. Am I nuts to think it would be (again, I ask because you follow that organization closely).

BTW, Burke probably will prefer to keep Schenn without getting a defenseman (i.e., not Martin) back. His opening salvo will be Kulemin and the 5th. BUT, I'll bet you he can be squeezed up to Kulemin, Bozak, Ashton, and the 5th or something like that. Whether it's Toronto or someone else, if Shero is listening on Staal, then someone is offering a Richards caliber deal.
Malkin has the ability to back off the gap, so it isn't something I would worry about. Having Staal there flat footed is my big worry... His starts and footwork will be a problem at wing. He knows that, which is why he wants to be a center.

There is no solution here... Someone has to play out of position... You tell your Art Ross winning center to move to wing or pay Staal 6m a year to be a mediocre winger... Neither option is desirable, but Malkin is the much better winger, not one ounce of doubt in my mind.

Leafs don't need an overpaid winger, let's just leave it at that.