Thread: On the Radio: KK will not return to Bingo
View Single Post
Old
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Frankly I'd like to see us go after someone like Nittymaki or Bacashihua. McKenna has already mentioned on his twitter that he'd welcome coming back. While I wouldn't mind McKenna for another year, if we could land Cash or Nittymaki, I say do it. Sure, Nittymaki has had a terrible year or two, but maybe he can rebound a little. I think those two goalies of those listed as UFA's have the most potential to keep Lehner properly challenged in the AHL.
Lehner just needs to play, he doesn't need another goaltender to challenge him, he needs the challenge of the NHL.

Sure conventional wisdom might suggest he is too young, needs more seasoning, but at the same time Murray has to be careful not to hold him back.

Lehner has shown he can play at the AHL level, he was the MVP of the Calder Cup. Add to this, his performance through camp last fall was the best of any Sens goaltender, yet he was demoted. His demotion was understandable if 'conventional wisdom' is how Murray wants to develop his players.

Lehner player 5 games for the Sens this past season, won 3 lost 2, had a SV% .935 and a GA 2.01. This kid can play at the NHL level now.

The old and tired rebuttal of, 'he needs to prove it consistently in Bingo' only applies if the objective is to break the kid's spirit, not to maximum his talent and development.

Regardless of individual opinions on how to handle Lehner, the upcoming training camp will be pivotable. If Lehner shows he is NHL ready, one of the top two goalies in camp, and the Sens demote him again, it could well be the last time.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote