Thread: Speculation: Brian Elliott
View Single Post
Old
05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Ed Wood

vCash: 500
Brian Elliott allowed 1.28 goals per game less than Craig Anderson did this year. His save pct. was .940 compared to .913 for Anderson. You can delude yourselves all you want that it was all about coaching styles but no coach in history can explain away that kind of a differential. The question this thread asks is would we take back the goalie with the superior numbers. It doesn't ask what we'd be prepared to give up to get him. The question, as asked, sounds like we'd be getting him for nothing. Bit of a no-brainer I thought.

The truth is I've never advocated trading Anderson or giving the job to someone else. I really hope he's pulling a Tim Thomas, Johnny Bower type late blooming deal for us. At the same time I find it incredibly petty that so many fans find it necessary to belittle Brian Elliott on the heels of one of the most statistically impressive seasons in NHL history. It's interesting that when Elliott and Anderson were traded for one another last year neither of them really had any trade value. I think it's great that both have turned their careers around to the point where both would warrant attractive offers on the trade market. They're two classy guys and I'm happy for both.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote