View Single Post
Old
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
2007: Wayne Simmonds, Alec Martinez, Joshua Turnbull2008: Andrew Campbell, Justin Azevedo, Garrett Roe2009: David Kolomatis, Michael Pelech, Brandon Kozun, Jordan Nolan, Nic Dowd2010: no one
2011: Andy Andreoff, Joel Lowry
To me there's a big difference between drafting a 19 year old player that has CHL level experience and drafting a player out of college or that has committed to an NCAA school before being drafted as the bolded guys were.

With the CHL player you're forced to make a decision on the AHL or CHL debate pretty much right after they are drafted (were Simmonds and Kozun passed over or just "older" than the rest of their draft class because of the age cutoff?) as was the case with all of Campbell, Azevedo, Kolomatis, Pelech, Nolan, and Andreoff.

The NCAA player (or BCHL, USHL player) you draft them with the knowledge that you may not have to make a decision on them for 3-4 years in most cases.

To me comparing those two situations is really an apples to oranges debate. I was trying to make the point that at the time Campbell, Azevedo, Kolomatis, Pelech, and Nolan were drafted there wasn't much depth at the NHL or AHL level for the Kings and these guys were brought in as legitimate prospects that were veiwed as being able to hold down an AHL spot and if one of them made the NHL, Awesome! If not they serve as a good solid base for a competitve AHL roster while the Kings hold their rights and after they sign their ELC.

Basically drafting older Junior players is a pretty smart way to improve your overall roster depth across every level quickly and anything else gained is a bonus.