View Single Post
Old
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Adjusting to the regular season average made more sense to me though. For one, it's a larger sample size that includes all NHL goalies. More than that, it eliminates the issue of a 1995 Dominik Hasek going from an NHL best .930 to a .863 and helping throw the average off from where one would expect it to be from having watched the season. After all, 1995 was one of those rare three seasons in which the playoff save percentage was lower than the regular season save percentage (which really shouldn't happen for any reason other than sample size, given that half the leagues worst teams are out).
I debated whether to compare the numbers to the regular season or playoff average. I used the playoff average because save percentages usually increase in the playoffs (teams are generally more disciplined and conservative, and arguably some of the weaker goalies don't qualify). Thus a 91.5% save percentage might be good in the regular season but merely average in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Nice to see Kirk McLean up there!
Thanks! McLean benefits because substantially all of his playoff career coincided with his peak (88% of his career playoff games occured between 1992 and 1995). Contrast that with, say, Tom Barrasso, who played a lot of games before and after his peak. Still, a very impressive showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekritdude View Post
poor poor irbe. ._. And ill chip in my obligatory broken record of I think he should have won the conn smythe in 2k2.
Irbe is tough to evaluate. Brutal numbers in San Jose (86.7% adjusted save percentage), but a strong showing in Carolina (91.4%). Part of that was Irbe improving with age, but it's also partly due to the Hurricanes being better defensively than the Sharks.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote