View Single Post
Old
05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
plusandminus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
I haven't made an adjustment for penalty killing. (For those who are unfamiliar, what we mean is that a goalie who plays on a (un)disciplined team would face a disproportionately low (high) percentage of powerplay shots, which are significantly more likely to result in a goal).

All the data I used was taken from hockey-reference.com because it's well formatted and easy to use. That website doesn't have ES/PP/SH shot and save breakdowns. I know that data exists on NHL.com back to 1998, but it would be very time consuming to merge the data from those two websites. I'm not sure if that type of data even exists prior to 1998.

In summary, although I think it would be valuable to take that information into account, but I'm not sure if it exists prior to 1998, and I'm not willing to spend the countless hours it would take to merge and clean the data after 1998.
I can understand that. It was just that I remember someone doing it for the regular season, and that it might have been you. I haven't looked into the playoffs at all myself, and have no idea how much that kind of adjustment would change stats. For example, Philadelphia used to take many penalty minutes during the regular season, and if that meant they played more PK than most other teams, it may even further push their goalies up (Lindbergh. Perhaps Parent?) (But this is to me completely hypothetical as I don't even know if they played more PK during the playoffs than other teams.)

I think you have a few duplicates in your third table, the one showing Stanley Cup winners. I noticed it when counting the occurences of Patrick Roy's name, but also Fuhr occurs twice. Roy anyhow looks impressive! Before I started spending time here, I suspected he might have been somewhat overrated, because I've seen him make many mistakes too (especially when handling the puck behind/around the net). But in threads like this one he (or his stats) lives up to his high reputation.

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote