View Single Post
Old
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
23. LW/RW - Kasperi Nuto (Ässät)

Seriously, no chance. Niko Ojamäki from Ässät is much better and even he is a longshot.
Nuto is a small, lightweight player, and for the most part his all-around game isn’t that great at the moment, but I think he has some smarts and a skill aspect to his game. He did quite well in Jr.A considering his age and slightly limited tool box. He needs to grow, get stronger and work hard on his game, but I think that it’s at least worth keeping an eye on how he develops during the next 12 months. Ojamäki is taller, plays a more straight forward game and has some ability to play the body, but I don’t think he’s quite as creative or skilled as Nuto. It was close and I could’ve had Ojamäki or someone else there instead of Nuto, but opted to go with the later one at this point. I had close to 40 players on my list when I started, but this felt like the best top-25 for me at the moment.

I’d be very interested of reading more about your views and also seeing your watch list for 2013. I’ve seen all the players on my list, but it’s not like I know their game through and through, so additional thoughts and info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
How did Tanus fall so much?
Tanus is short and hasn’t shown much signs of getting taller lately, that’s the biggest reason for me. I really like his awareness, instincts, creativity and craftiness, but will that be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRocket87 View Post
Well since there are at least 3 guys on the same team that are more promising/better than him eligible for the same draft...

And I wasn't trying to insult, but simply state that he really is in the wrong company there.
Tolvanen, Nuto, Ojamäki and Teemu Vuorisalo are the only Ässät prospects for this draft that I’ve paid more than casual attention to so far. Vuorisalo showed some offensive upside, but defensively he has a lot of work to do, plus his lateral/backwards movement is feeble and physically he’s weak just like Nuto.

Nuto, Ojamäki and Vuorisalo have some potential, but it’ll probably take time before we see possible results from these guys. Their game is uneven, which is probably a result of not so comprehensive coaching a few years back. On the other hand this could mean that they have more potential for big improvement in the coming years. I did see Ässät Jr.B team play once or twice, but can’t say that Jarno Kärki or the others stood out that much for me. Perhaps I have to pay more attention to them next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhockeyfollower View Post
Great lists, Tormentor! There is not much that I would disagree about, however, I would have Lintuniemi higher for the 2014 draft. I was very impressed by him in the playoffs. I´m not sure whether I would have Kuhakoski in the top-10. He´s got great size, that´s for sure, and he plays a physical game, but he needs some improvement in the mental part of the game. He took some unnecessary penalties in the games that I saw. His puck skills are decent and he is a versatile player.

BTW, what do you think about Niko Kivelä, who played in the same team as Kuhakoski over the season? He didn´t get a ton of ice-time when I saw him, but he might have some intriguing potential as he had pretty good point totals nonetheless. He is fast and he has some puck skills. He looked also bigger than he´s listed at (6´1").
From what I’ve seen so far, the 2014 draft looks below average for Finland. It was quite hard to make a top-10, there simply weren’t that many players who clearly stood out from the competition during my limited viewings. Therefore Kuhakoski was a fairly easy addition to the list, his size and style of play is quite rare in Finnish prospects. Kuhakoski wouldn’t be in my top-20 for 2013 at the moment, but in a weaker draft like 2014 he’s a decent addition to the list IMO. Naturally, I might drop him out of the top-10 next season, if some of the 96-born players start showing more promise.

I haven’t paid much attention to Niko Kivelä so far, have to take a closer look next season.