Old
05-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...extension.html

What should Wild fans take from news of Clayton Stoner's 2-year contract extension

Written by Derek Felska | 10 May 2012

Reading between the lines can be a skill that can be both a blessing and a curse. It can make someone be extra perceptive, almost like a lesser version of Spider Man's 'spider-sense' that allows a person to see beyond the obvious and an anticipate future events or find the underlying motive of an action. Or it can make someone immensely paranoid and neurotic where they read far too much into even the slightest moves that causes them to look foolish. If you're good at reading between the lines you're considered to be very perceptive, a trait people usually look upon favorably, but if you're not as good as it you're pushed into a group of conspiracy theorists and wackjobs. I don't mind a good conspiracy theory every now and then, as its often a fresh look at the facts but there is a fine line between a plausible motive and ones that are truly out there and bizarre. Perspectives are what the blogging universe and the rest of the journalist world are all about. Through our own lens of what we believe and do not, we tune out certain writers while others we take a lot of stock in their opinions and perceptions since they often match our own 'gut' feelings. So the news the Wild signed defenseman Clayton Stoner to a 2-year contract that will pay him $1.05 million per season, what underlying message should that give fans across the State of Hockey?

Maybe we could use a little help from a medium to know what to expect from this. I am going to date myself a bit, but I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and by far my favorite portion was his attempt to predict the contents of an envelope as Carnac the Magnificent. Carson's ability to deadpan as well as his quick mind made the skit hilarious even if sometimes it didn't always make a lot of sense. So without having to read the tea leaves or check my horoscope how should Wild fans read into Clayton Stoner's 2-year extension? (click on the link for the rest of the article)

Just some food for thought about the Stoner signing and what it means for the direction of the club this summer. Enjoy!

I think the Stone re-signing makes them going after Suter hard more likely. It puts the Wild in a position where they really only need to add 1 more defenseman.

FA - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Stoner - Brodin/prosser/falk

In this scenario Brodin likely starts his Wild career in the AHL first on the callup list. I don't think it's out of the question that Brodin could begin the year as a top 4 defenseman. If that were to happen, it's likely Falk is the odd man out, which is a shame.

Suter, Carle or Wideman would plug in to our top pairing and the Wild would have some respectable depth.

I think Stoner could challenge for top 4 icetime on this roster. If he can stay healthy he has the size to be a defender that teams hate playing against.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote