View Single Post
Old
05-12-2012, 12:25 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackee View Post
Agreed. This team went 28-40-8-6 and missed the playoffs. Alain Vigneault was fired not too long into the season and replaced by Michel Therrien. Jose Theodore kept that team from a lottery pick and this was the year before he won the Hart/Vezina. Don't remember the lines that well but I'll give it a shot. Point totals in brackets:

B. Savage (45) - S. Koivu (47) - O. Petrov (47)
M. Rucinsky (38) - J. Bulis (23) - R. Zednik (44)
C. Kilger (32) - C. Darby (28) - P. Poulin (20)
B. Brunet (14) - E. Landry (11) - J. Campbell (20)

Also had Juha Lind and Arron Asham as extra forwards

A. Markov (23) - P. Brisebois (36)
S. Souray (11) - S. Robidas (12)
K. Dykhuis (17) - C. Rivet (3)

Also had Francis Bouillon and Patrick Traverse (who makes Brett Lebda look like Bobby Orr I might add) as extras on defense

J. Theodore
J. Hackett

This is roughly how the team looked by the end of the 00-01 season. Trevor Linden and Dainius Zubrus were top six forwards until they were dealt to Washington for Zednik, Bulis and a first round pick (A. Perezhogin). Such a pathetic team that year. Theodore had 20 wins, again pretty much because he'd stop 40+ shots every game. There were games the Habs barely managed 15 shots on goal. Yet because of Theodore, the team wound up with the 7th pick in the 01 draft (used to draft M. Komisarek).

That was also the draft that the Habs were rumoured to be after Atlanta's #1 to draft Kovalchuk. If memory serves, the Habs offered Garon/Markov/their first and possibly something else for the pick but Waddell wanted Theodore in the deal over Garon, which killed it.
I like to call that the "Traverse Era". Anyone who thinks last year was worse than that team because of our record clearly needs to rewatch those years, that team had great goaltending during Theodore's brief peak, and nothing else going for it.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote