View Single Post
Old
05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Stickmata

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
nah, I expect it won't fix anything by itself - it will just make it easier for me to do what I need to do to learn how to do that.

I'm finding that it really doesn't matter how hard I hit the puck, it doesn't change the power behind it - I'm still just really swiping at it rather than getting any spring from the stick.
Chances are that you're making a very fundamental mistake that almost everyone makes when they are just starting out. You are not swinging around a firm front side, but are rather 'stepping through' your slap shot. Your front foot should plant just before the shot and should be totally set/firm at impact, with all of your weight on that front skate, which is dug in hard. Watch the pros shoot and notice where their feet are and where their weight is right at impact. Weight shift immediately BEFORE impact, not during the shot. It is the only way you can have a consistent slap shot.

Every new player I see at skate and shoots, tends to just swing their stick and move through the shot. Aside from never being able to really replicate the same motion every time, they have no power and no base against which to get their stick flexed.

And when you shift your weight, make sure you stay on the inside edge of the front skate with your weight inside it, so you remain firm against it. It is not a big body motion, just a shift of where you are putting your power down from both skates to just the front skate. If you want to see some great pics of this, Google pictures of Al McInnis and you'll find some great images of what I'm talking about.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote