View Single Post
Old
05-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Since the lockout, it seems teams have begun to do a youth movement. The older, slower players of the pre-lockout era have been shoved aside as younger faster players have taken their place (part of this I'm sure is due to the cheaper contracts as well).

While before it seemed fairly common for a player to play past the age of 35, with how many players do we see that now? Seems like they are mostly goalies. There are few who have the required speed and skill to continue playing at that age.

My question is this. All these players who have been apart of this youth movement, the players who have taken over these roster spots, will they too be replaced by younger and faster players? Or do you think they will heavily train their speed when older thus still being able to play in the new NHL when before they may have trained upper body so they could still be strong enough to compete in the clutch and grab hockey? The average age on capgeek I think says it all for a youth movement, not a single team has an average age of over 30 with many teams in the 26.0-27.9 range meaning many of their players are just coming out of their RFA status.

Looking forward to hearing what people think.
What's happened is that, with the implementation of the salary cap, there's been a squeeze on the "middle class" of NHL players. These are the guys who have proven to not be first-liners or first-pairing defensemen, and therefore have been replaced by younger and cheaper players (with potential)...but at the same time, they're between 26 and 33 and could still be productive in the NHL.

I firmly believe that the NHL could not only expand to 32 teams, but both new teams could be competitive in a short period of time by acquiring players like these off the free agent market.

(In before anyone else starts prattling on about "talent dilution" or "why certain teams need to go away")

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote