View Single Post
Old
05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Punkeater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Our defense is much, much better. Carlson/Alzner are great, (and while I'm a homer, most Bruins and Rangers fans will tell you the same thing) a legitimate first pairing and are only going to get better. Green's still a first pairing player, despite the set backs from injuries. And Orlov looks like a top 4 player. And although Hamrlik is only a short-term solution, he was phenomenal in the playoffs. But even if we lose Green after next season, we will likely only need one more top 4 defenseman.

In goal, both Neuvy and Holtby have the capabilities to be good starting goalies. Holtby has the edge right now. And we have Grubauer, who looks solid, too.

But our forwards are much weaker. Ovi isn't the game changer he used to be, although he's also not as bad as some think. And we still need a 2C. Backstrom's excellent. Our bottom 6 is very good, but if Semin leaves, we need at minimum two more top 6 forwards - a 2C and another 1L/R. Both Laich, Chimera, and Brouwer are decent top 6 wingers, but none are first line players. Johansson or Perrault might be a 2C in the future, possibly as soon as next season, but they aren't quite there, and both might be better suited on the wing. My ideal but not totally absurd solution would be if Kuznetsov came over and we traded some combination of draft picks and prospects for a 2C like Plekanec or Pavelski. But who knows who will be available.

Overall, I like the composition of this team better, because the difference in the defenseman between now and then is greater than the difference in fowards.

That said, I'm not sure if Hunter can get the most out of this team.
Damn! I always forgets about Kuznetsov being a Caps. Bring Kuznetsov in Washington for next year. Let Semin walk and give Semin's money to Ryan Suter ?

Seriously that would be scary!

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote