View Single Post
Old
05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Fair enough... Although I disagree that staal isn't likely to "get much better".
I'm with you. Guys with the talent, size, strength, and hockey I.Q. who play his style of game just better with age until the body starts visibly slowing/breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
He's 24, and by all indications a committed athlete with strong work ethic and good attitude.

Odds are much better that he continues to progress than they are that he's already peaked.

Whomever we get at 3rd overall isn't guaranteed to be as good as staal is now, let alone better.

Risk either way, but contract aside (again, I would not do the deal w/o an extension being agreed to) I don't think one can argue that either decision would be stupid or incomprehensible.
He's still only 23, actually. But in fairness, he'll turn 24 shortly before preseason gets underway.

As for the "chances" of a #3 overall pick becoming "better" than Staal, I'm going to go back over the last 20 years or so and see if there are any 3rd overall picks that I'd straight up trade Staal to acquire instead. Everyone else should do the same. It should be interesting to see if anyone gets a list of over half the possibilities (i.e. better than 50/50 chance based on "history" of the "pedigree").

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote