View Single Post
Old
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
PavelBure9

vCash: 500
The transformation of NHL coverage

It's just amazing what OLN has become. I'm sure everyone here was pissed off after the Lockout that the NHL decided to go with an entity that only provided Outdoor life things when they first started. Hockey fans wished we would have stayed with ESPN, a known commodity and the gold standard in sports. Even though they low-balled us, most hockey fans were wishing in 2005 that we had stuck with ESPN, even though the coverage would have still been terrible from a hockey fan's perspective.

Fast forward through the Versus years, where there were some up and downs with some of the coverage but any hockey fan could see that at least there was an effort to improve the coverage of the NHL. They were also addig new programs such as the UFC and other programs and trying to make it a legitimate channel in terms of sports.

Now, in 2012, I can honestly say in my 12 years of watching, that the NBC Sports Network has done a fantastic job with coverage we have of the game. All the first round games and, while I would love to have Gary Thorne and Joe Michelleti be the ones to do the commentating, it just baffles me to where the NHL on the OLN has become. And give credit to Gary Bettman, for making the tough choice of switching to an unknown channel. In the short term, it sucked, but in the long term this leage will prosper because of it. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

PavelBure9 is offline   Reply With Quote