View Single Post
Old
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i'd rather go after Redden... not that Chara isn't a beast, but with Hatcher/Rathje/Gauthier already in the fold, i'd target Redden of the two up there as he complements what we already have a bit better.
really.....wow, that's interesting. Having lived in Ottawa for several years, I kind of thought Wade Redden was a little over rated. Chara's probably the best defenseman in Ottawa, maybe even the league. I figure he'd be a great power play leader and could relieve Pitkanen on the point every second power play opportunity. Add to it that you can throw him on the forward line of the power play and he can park it in front of the net, that's quite an intangible to have.

And you'd have to figure that come playoff time, Chara would be that stopper that we lack. Could you picture Chara mashing Jagr into the boards or flooring Kovalchuk? That would be awesome. We've been missing that top defensive presence in our back end since the days of Howe/McCrimmon and the signing of Chara would really boost our back end.

I won't say that signing Redden though wouldn't be a bad move either. He's probably the steadiest defenseman in the league, which isn't a bad thing. The only thing I'd like to see is Redden kind of push it a bit more on the offensive side. The guy has the ability to get 70 points and sometimes I think he'll make the safe play way too often rather than try something a little selfish every now and then.