View Single Post
Old
05-13-2012, 11:39 PM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I should say that I don't remember this season, as I was 7 years old, but the 1989-90 Flyers team looks atrocious. From what I can piece together from the stats, they got rid of Brian Propp, Dave Poulin, and Jay Wells, and Hextall had a combination of contract holdout, suspension, and injuries, so the team at the end of the season looks something like this:

Murray Craven-Mike Bullard-Rick Tocchet
Pelle Eklund-Ron Sutter-Tim Kerr
Brian Propp-Keith Acton-Ilkka Sinisalo
Craig Berube-Ken Linseman-Scott Mellanby
Tony Horacek, Derrick Smith

Gord Murphy-Mark Howe
Kjell Samuelsson-Terry Carkner
Jeff Chychrun-Kerry Huffman
Jiri Latal

Ken Wregget
Pete Peeters

The only thing i can see as a positive is offensive depth. The rest looks like a bunch of has-beens, with a few never-weres mixed in. That had to be one of the oldest teams in the league. I also have never seen such a crap group of centers on the Flyers at one time. Without Poulin, that position is a wasteland.
This really isn't that bad...in fact there were 7 players with 20 or more goals, 3 more players in double figures and a HoF defenseman and Samuelsson was pretty good.....although it looks like the defensive depth is what did them in.

Still there are far worse teams than this one..I mean, 14 points from 1st place in the division and 2 points from a playoff spot?

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote