View Single Post
Old
05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
One example could be like below... have to get a couple of top-6-candidate wingers, but they are likely to be risky ones. I don't really care what names you want to pick and choose in there... preferably not purely soft/small guys... I took AK and Penner, but go ahead and create a list of 10-12 options, really... you probably have to throw offers in the direction of that many guys on July 1st, and see if any stick.

Similarly the D that replaces Suter... throw the $4Mish offers in direction of all the best candidates. Jackman is only illustrative of my favourite, but you have to put a few other names in the hat. And then maybe look at a depthier vet/toughness addition as well. Again, I put O'Brien as one candidate, but you probably need a list of 10 or so.

Then for me to compensate for not having landed the really big name UFAs, I want to make a rock solid 4 lines, and we again *can* have the cap space to do that. It means extra development years for kids like Leblanc and Geoffrion, fine, they can use it. The names are again placeholders, make a list of all kinds of options there, Prust isn't likely to leave New York, and Gaustad is actually a bit overpriced if you ask me, even if he's still representative of a player calibre/type I'd like to put in that lineup spot...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.625m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Erik Cole ($4.500m)
Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Dustin Penner ($4.250m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.750m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.000m)
Brandon Prust ($1.750m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.600m) / Travis Moen ($1.750m)
Ryan White ($0.688m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($3.750m)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m) / Barret Jackman ($4.250m)
Shane O'Brien ($1.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($5.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,145,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $854,167

And I'm not apologizing for length. The real plan probably has to have 10-20 pages of payroll charts, interspersed with 100 or more pages of pro scouting reports on the candidates. On my desk by 9AM June 15th, svp.
I like your team, I agree with you on Gaustad, he'd be the best fourth line centre in the league, but 2.6 is pretty steep for that position. It's alright if it's just something like two years though. I'm not sure I could deal with watching Penner for a full season though, especially if he and Bourque are both in the lineup.