View Single Post
Old
05-14-2012, 11:30 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I think if Weber and Suter leave, we take a step back for sure. Not the end of the world, but a step back. We're fighting for 8th instead of finishing 4th.

One thing that's bugging me is the "we'll have tons of money!" argument. Please go to the UFA list for this year and tell me if there is anyone there you actually want to spend money on. This is a weak class outside of Suter (gone), Parise (if Suter and Weber leave...no chance), and Doan (he'll resign in Phoenix).

EDIT: here's a list Semin, Parise, and Suter are the big names, and there is no way Poile signs Semin for obvious reasons. Who else do we want? Huselius? maybe. Carle or Kubina or someone for D? Maybe, but itll be expensive. Olli Jokinen? Jarred Stoll? Money is great to have, but its not like there are a bunch of Weber/Suter level playrers just waited to be grabbed, unlike the NFL

The only thing I could see us doing with that money is acquiring someone a la Brain Campbell that is useful but overpaid. I would LOVE an Eric Staal trade with Carolina, though it'd be a steep cost.
Maybe one way to look at it is would you rather have Suter eating up 7 million, and for the purpose of this exercise , Tootoo at 2 million, OR Carle and trade for a Ryan Malone Type for the same 9 million? Malone would cost us young assets, as Tampa probably wouldnt take salary back. Maybe Ekholm latta/beck and a pick. hell, maybe this is finally the offseason where he uses some of this depth we have built up.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculato...er.php?id=3046 I'd roll with something like that

and looking a year ahead, the FA class is loaded for right now with Getlaf and Perry being the crown jewels of it.

Last edited by token grinder: 05-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.