Old
05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
I see what you're saying... But why increase the travel of a group of teams that are within 100 miles of each other when the goal is to reduce travel. Not all teams will get the benefit, but that's life. We can't move mountains and cities.

Also, how would making Philly travel to St. Louis or Florida be fair? I understand they might have an advantage to have 4 teams within an hours drive, but there isn't much that can be done about those teams.

I don't think smaller divisions are the solution, I think larger groups/conferences are. I think the NHL got it right with their proposal.
For me when I did my divisions, the goal was not so much reduced travel, but increased fairness for the maximum number of teams in the league. Splitting up the Atlantic division and increasing travel for all those teams is part of the equation when shooting for actual fairness. The ability of those 5 teams to travel so easily to one another is a significant advantage that no other group of teams really has except for Los Angeles and Anaheim. And the NJ/NYI/NYR cluster still has their reduced travel advantage intact.

Spreading the travel out and making it more equal will make all the teams outside of the current atlantic division a bit more attractive and increase those teams ability to lure free agents.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote