General Talk '12 — Russia
View Single Post
05-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Mixing the Kool-Aid
Join Date: Aug 2011
Originally Posted by
This is so wrong to bring Ovechkin and Semin right now on so many levels. Let me list them:
1. Chemistry right now is undeniable. The team gelled really well, why play with it now?
2. Ovechkin never performed well for team Russia on any levels. He is easily shut down by top defensive teams. The only important goal he scored for team Russia which I remember was in 2006 versus Canada. That was more than 6 years ago. One can say that he dished an assist to Semin against Canada in 2008 final but it was just an assist.
3. Ovechkin and Malkin on the same team have never been successful.
4. The only time Ovechkin won anything was when he was playing secondary roles on team Russia.
5. Every time team Russia relied on him as an offensive weapon team Russia failed (2005 Juniors, bunch of WC's)
6. Travelling to Europe from North America is much tougher than travelling from Europe to North America due to time change going ahead, which is my own observation. Russia's NHL'ers who joined team Russia on short notice after NHL playoffs rarely perform well for some exceptions (Kovalchuk and Bryzgalov in 2009).
7. How invested can both Semin and Ovechkin be after these playoffs? Sometimes people are just spent and there is nothing can help outside of long rest.
8. Both Ovechkin and Semin showed below average average speed. I thought they were the slowest players on the whole Caps roster. I can't stand watching Ovechkin who without the puck just stops skating, that is what allows him to play those long shifts, his work output is just nowhere close to an average NHLer. Any player on team Russia right now has been working hard, I do not believe Ovechkin can match that.
But can they really not invite the Alexes? Or not play either of them if they accept?
I know it was said by some in the media that Bryzgalov got a phone call but not an invitation, but it was still reported that he declined. Big difference though between Bryz and Ovi.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by DegenX