View Single Post
Old
05-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
This is all true Miller Time, but while the Habs and Staal could conceivably come to some sort of consensus about a number to re-sign at, the fact remains that they would not be able to sign him.

Who knows what kind of character Staal has, maybe he changes his mind once July 1st comes along and says no amount of monye will stop him from testing the market.

Trading for players who are already making big time money and are so close to UFA is not the right path to building a consistent contender.
as for Staal's character... we can never know what's inside a person, but from everything we do know about Staal & the Staal family, I would feel pretty good about it if he gave his word. perhaps a different story if we were talking about a guy with a sketchy track record.

but you are right, handshakes aren't guarantees, so the team would be taking a "risk".

Trading a top pick for an impending UFA definitely isn't a good idea, agree completely. But that's not what I'm talking about.

you're assuming we couldn't trust him, I'm assuming we could, both are just that assumptions.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote