View Single Post
Old
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
It's not that I'm assuming they shouldn't trust him Miller, just pointing out a risk.

That's all kind of irrelevant though, with Staal coming over you then have Staal, Price, Subban and Pacioretty all either making their big pay day this Summer or next. That's a lot of money, and ignores completely guys like Eller, Emelin, Desharnais, Diaz and Weber.

I'm of the belief that this year was a blip on the radar, but we've seen with a team like Toronto trying to shortcut things and it not paying off at all.

I kinda like the 3 man centre trio of Eller, DD and Plekx. Maybe Eller breaks out as a 50 point guy with great 2 way abilities. Is Staal really worth that much more than him because he's a couple inches taller?

I dunno. I'd rather see the Habs take a bit of a conservative approach right now, and see what kind of follow up seasons guys like DD and Pacio can have next year.
I'm bullish on the habs current trio as well... but I also think Staal is an opportunity away from taking a huge step forward (in both production and recognition).

yes, it's a risk, but then so is drafting. Staal is at worst the player we've seen so far, which is pretty damn good, at best he develops into an elite #1 C in his mid-late 20's. With the pick, worst case scenario is we end up with a Pouliot or Barker, best case is we end up with someone as good as Staal or better...

i'd say either way we walk away from the summer stronger as an organization, and I'd be happy with both scenarios.

Cap-wise, while we do have a few other key young assets needing raises, Gionta/Gomez/Kaberle represent ~17M$ of cap space btw now (hopefully) and 2014. Considering we were apparently seriously in the Richards race (and this with Cammy's 6M$ still on the books) I'm sure our management team would find away to make it work.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote